Friday, September 10, 2010

Entry 3- Provisions Packed Tight

For some reason, I still feel the need to relate everything to the nautical world in some way. I guess as I am about to embark on a voyage of my own, I think of myself as a voyager of old, and I plan to spend a good majority of my time in the liquid realm that surrounds us. Anywhooooooooo, quite some time ago the study abroad folks let us in on the little known secret that you are only allowed two suitcases. Big deal right? You can fit a lot of stuff into two suitcases, however, every girl in the room at that time seemed to stop breathing. Even a few of the guys did, and we wondered what in the world could they miss so much that it wouldn't fit into two costco sized "luggage crates", because that's what they really are. Instantly my mind started figuring out what I couldn't leave behind for a year... surfboards. Europe gets some phenomenal surf, and I was not about to miss out on it because of a two suitcase rule. So right then and there my second suitcase became a 10'6" double longboard bag (my priorities are obviously in the right place). It is now filled with three boards, two wetsuits, a pair of booties, a one mill. hooded rashguard, cold water wax, some leashes, a vital ding repair kit, and three jackets(as they have proven themselves as excellent protection for boards). That left me with one "luggage crate" to fit all my clothes in.
    So, I made a list of what I considered necessary clothing for a year in England. Being from Southern California, a year of mostly rainy/wet cold weather doesn't exactly fit the clothes you own. So in went what I believe will keep me warm, and semi-dry for the next year. I'm not sure if it was the list, or the fact that I only seem to own t-shirts and jeans, but everything fit smashingly in a single suitcase that could easily house a set of newborn quintuplets.
    While packing my board bag, and suitcase, I almost forgot that I am going to school. I have to get that thought back in my head. After finishing the school year in May, spending July in school again, I kind of shut it off for the past 6 weeks, but I'm sure because of summer school I never really got it out of my system and the muscle memory of school will return shortly. Basically, I'm trying to say that I'm super mentally buff and tan for this school year, as I already conquered an intense summer school workout.

    Well, The Pirate Crew is packed and ready to get shacked... and get our brain buff on. The final farewells have begun and we sets sail in three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment