Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Entry 7- Norwich: The Land of Quaintness and Damp Clothing

    My gracious followers, I apologize for the delay as soon I will explain why. First of all, I am safely in Norwich, and moved into my "accommodation". Things are a bit smaller then imagined and somebody needs to talk to the architecture students here because their drawing of "ample" living space was a bit off. That, or ample has a different meaning in England. I will not lie, and say that all is fair and grand here in the land of over 300 pubs (that is Norwich alone, not England, and it is in no way my desire to find all 300 as some brave souls have set out to do). Seriously, there is an old quote that says Norwich used to have a pub for every day of the year. Times are hard however, and now you might have to go to the same pub... once or twice.
     The transition here was quite tough to be honest, and I am still adjusting to things. As expected, culture shock set in about 24 hours of actually being in Norwich and I desperately wanted to reverse course and set sail towards port of origin. London and I had a certain kinship, a big city like San Francisco, people in suits, tourists everywhere. Yet, as my father wisely stated, not many people tell you "Hey, I'm going to England, but even better, I'm going to Norwich". Norwich is best described by brochures and locals as quaint. It is one of the safest cities in London, and has I high population retention rate. That is because older folks (and old souls alike), tend to come here for a quiet, comfortable lifestyle... and never leave because they leave this earth first. So obviously if you never leave, and just kick the bucket here, all remains quaint.
  
   Things are different here, being that I am in a different country in all, and I have had to rely intensely on the comfort the Lord to see each day as a blessing. It is hard when you get to a new place, especially a new country to see the things here as what they are instead of thinking about the things from home that are not here. The food for one is quite different and cooking here is like being forced to do your business near a cactus on the side of Mexico's Highways 1, with truckers passing by. Even though it is natural and necessary at that moment, it is still a very uncomfortable thing to go through. I know in time that will change (not doing my business next to the Mexican Highway, that will always be weird) but all the little things will get easier. Life just happens to be a roller coaster right now.
  To get that unsightly image out of your heads, let me tell you about the weather. Norwich is supposedly one of the driest cities in England, in one of the driest counties, so when people said, "Oh it doesn't rain here that often", I assumed that it didn't. Well you know what they say about assuming things. It would be like to tell someone, "Yeah, well it isn't that sunny very often in Laguna Beach anyway so, it's no big deal".... Basically "often" like "ample" has a different meaning here. It is sunny all the time in Laguna, and it rains all the time here. Driest city, yeah right. It isn't a hard rain either, it is this slow, weeping rain that gradually gets you wet, and leaves you damp for hours. However, everything is really green here, and on the first sunny day (so in May), I will post some pictures of the campus. Seriously though, as soon as the rain lets up, I will post some pictures of campus which does have some beautiful features.
  
   So as I rant (as slightly complain) I must say this, things are beginning to look up. Travel plans have started to come together, and I am trusting God that this is where I am supposed to be, or else, I wouldn't be here. Shout outs to all you who have been praying for me, they have helped beyond measure. I am looking forward to getting my bearings and having a wonderful time here in England, and quaint little Norwich. Much love, and though seas have been rough, The Pirate Crew sails on.

1 comment:

  1. Sail on Captain. Though the seas be stormy, good weather lay ahead. Steer yerself a straight course, follow yer gut and don't let the water spoil the rum!

    ReplyDelete